Home Politics Senate Democrats threaten shutdown by blocking DHS funding after Minnesota ICE shooting
Politics

Senate Democrats threaten shutdown by blocking DHS funding after Minnesota ICE shooting

Share
Share

Anger over a deadly Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)-related shooting in Minnesota has pushed Senate Democrats to threaten a cutoff of Homeland Security funding and a possible shutdown.

In just a few short days, Democrats have rapidly coalesced behind their strategy to block funding for the agency as the deadline to fund the government hurtles closer.

Democrats in the upper chamber were already leery of supporting the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) spending bill, which funds ICE, but had come to a fragile truce with Senate Republicans in concocting several built-in restrictions on the agency and usage of ICE over months of negotiations.

SENATE DEMS REVOLT AGAINST DHS FUNDING BILL AMID MINNEAPOLIS CHAOS, HIKING GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN RISK

But the fatal shooting of 37-year-old Alex Pretti during an immigration enforcement operation over the weekend in Minneapolis destroyed that tepid support. That incident rapidly mobilized Senate Democrats to decry and reject the DHS bill.

Schumer said in a statement that Senate Democrats would not allow the current version of the DHS bill to advance and argued that Senate Republicans “have seen the same horrific footage that all Americans have watched of the blatant abuses of Americans by ICE in Minnesota.”

“The appalling murders of Renee Good and Alex Pretti on the streets of Minneapolis must lead Republicans to join Democrats in overhauling ICE and [Customs and Border Protection] to protect the public,” Schumer said. “People should be safe from abuse by their own government.”

KEY SENATOR WON’T FUND DHS AS ICE, FEDERAL AGENTS ENTER HIS STATE

“Senate Republicans must work with Democrats to advance the other five funding bills while we work to rewrite the DHS bill,” he continued. “This is the best course of action, and the American people are on our side.”

Senate Democrats held a private, caucus-wide call on the matter on Sunday. A source familiar with the call told Fox News Digital that Schumer’s plan to reject any DHS bill without several reforms, but that the broader, five-bill funding package could move ahead. Lawmakers could vote on the package as early as Thursday.

“Basically, DHS is the problem and should be split from the package,” they said.

But Senate Republicans aren’t willing to cave to Democrats’ demands, especially given how high a priority funding the agency is for the administration and how fast the Friday deadline to fund the government is approaching.

SENATE DEMOCRATS REBEL AGAINST THEIR OWN LEADERSHIP OVER DHS FUNDING PACKAGE, INCREASING SHUTDOWN ODDS

Democrats’ position creates several procedural headaches beyond their desire to, for now, shut off funding to DHS. Any modification to the package would require approval from the House, which is not in town until early next month.

And House Republican leadership has no desire to return to Washington, D.C., in the interim, leaving the onus on Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., and his leadership team to carve out a solution to the growing funding problem.

While some Senate Republicans are demanding a thorough investigation of the shooting of Pretti, none have gone so far as to demand that DHS funding be withheld.

GOP leaders aren’t willing to cut the bill out of the package just to give Democrats what they want, especially after the current Homeland Security bill was negotiated on a bipartisan basis.

A Senate Republican aide told Fox News Digital that Republicans were “determined to not have another government shutdown.”

“We will move forward as planned and hope Democrats can find a path forward to join us,” they said.

Share

Luxury Board

S&P 500

Índices globales

Gold

Silver

Platinum

Palladium

Related Articles
Politics

Abortion pill fight heads to Supreme Court as manufacturer warns of ‘chaos’ after ruling

The legal battle over abortion pills escalated to the Supreme Court on...

Politics

Democrat Tina Shah calls transgender healthcare for children a ‘no-brainer’ in competitive NJ House race

A progressive candidate aiming to unseat a vulnerable Republican in a battleground...

Politics

Trump signs stopgap FISA extension after Senate blocks long-term renewal

President Donald Trump signed a 45-day extension for Section 702 of the...

Politics

Fox News Campus Radicals Newsletter: Educators disciplined after lamenting Trump survival, university sued

PINK SLIPS COMING: Educators fired or suspended after lamenting Trump survived dinner...

Turning Vision into Reality

A BIT LAVISH | MIAMI’S MAGAZINE

Let’s create something exceptional together.

Founded by Francesca Pérez in Miami in 2022, A Bit Lavish is your source for refined, insider perspectives on the city’s high-end culture. From yachts and real estate to health, wellness, and curated news, we cover Miami’s pulse with a clear, confident editorial voice.

Through modern storytelling and genuine access, we highlight ambition, good design, and the people shaping the city. Discover more — with Miami’s Magazine.

get the latest updates and articles directly to your inbox.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Copyright © 2024 A BIT LAVISH | Miami's Magazine Est. 2022

All rights reserved.

Legal Notice: At A Bit Lavish, we pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of originality and respect for intellectual property. We encourage our audience to uphold these values by refraining from unauthorized copying or reproduction of any content, logo, or branding material from our website. Each piece of content, image, and design is created with care and protected under copyright law. Please enjoy and share responsibly to help us maintain the integrity of our brand. For inquiries on usage or collaborations, feel free to reach out to us +1 305.332.1942.

Translate »