Home Sports Ex-FIFA president Sepp Blatter joins those calling for boycott of World Cup in United States
Sports

Ex-FIFA president Sepp Blatter joins those calling for boycott of World Cup in United States

Share
Share

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter on Monday backed a proposed fan boycott of World Cup matches in the United States because of the conduct of President Donald Trump and his administration at home and abroad.

Blatter was the latest international soccer figure to call into question the suitability of the United States as a host country. He called for the boycott in a post on X that supported Mark Pieth’s comments in an interview last week with the Swiss newspaper Der Bund.

Pieth, a Swiss attorney specializing in white-collar crime and an anti-corruption expert, chaired the Independent Governance Committee’s oversight of FIFA reform a decade ago. Blatter was president of the world’s governing body for soccer from 1998-2015; he resigned amid an investigation into corruption.

In his interview with Der Bund, Pieth said, “If we consider everything we’ve discussed, there’s only one piece of advice for fans: Stay away from the USA! You’ll see it better on TV anyway. And upon arrival, fans should expect that if they don’t please the officials, they’ll be put straight on the next flight home. If they’re lucky.”

In his X post, Blatter quoted Pieth and added, “I think Mark Pieth is right to question this World Cup.”

The United States is co-hosting the World Cup with Canada and Mexico from June 11-July 19.

The international soccer community’s concerns about the United States stem from Trump’s expansionist posture on Greenland, and travel bans and aggressive tactics in dealing with migrants and immigration enforcement protestors in American cities, particularly Minneapolis.

Oke Göttlich, one of the vice presidents of the German soccer federation, told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper in an interview on Friday that the time had come to seriously consider boycotting the World Cup.

Travel plans for fans from two of the top soccer countries in Africa were thrown into disarray in December, when the Trump administration announced an expanded ban that would effectively bar people from Senegal and Ivory Coast following their teams unless they already have visas. Trump cited “screening and vetting deficiencies” as the main reason for the suspensions.

Fans from Iran and Haiti, two other countries that have qualified for the World Cup, will be barred from entering the United States as well; they were included in the first iteration of the travel ban announced by the Trump administration.

___

This story was corrected to clarify that the Trump administration announced its expanded travel restrictions in December, not two weeks ago.

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

Share

Luxury Board

S&P 500

Índices globales

Gold

Silver

Platinum

Palladium

Related Articles
Sports

The Reds tie an MLB record by walking seven straight batters in a 17-7 loss to the Pirates

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Cincinnati Reds issued a Major League Baseball record-tying...

Sports

Joel Embiid leads 76ers to 109-100 Game 7 win over Celtics to complete comeback from 3-1 deficit

BOSTON (AP) — Joel Embiid and the Philadelphia 76ers advanced to the...

Sports

The Reds tie an MLB record by walking seven straight batters in a 17-7 loss to the Pirates

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Cincinnati Reds issued a Major League Baseball record-tying...

Sports

Nelly Korda taps in for eagle and a 67 to build a 3-shot lead in Mexico

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Mexico (AP) — Nelly Korda capped off a strong...

Turning Vision into Reality

A BIT LAVISH | MIAMI’S MAGAZINE

Let’s create something exceptional together.

Founded by Francesca Pérez in Miami in 2022, A Bit Lavish is your source for refined, insider perspectives on the city’s high-end culture. From yachts and real estate to health, wellness, and curated news, we cover Miami’s pulse with a clear, confident editorial voice.

Through modern storytelling and genuine access, we highlight ambition, good design, and the people shaping the city. Discover more — with Miami’s Magazine.

get the latest updates and articles directly to your inbox.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Copyright © 2024 A BIT LAVISH | Miami's Magazine Est. 2022

All rights reserved.

Legal Notice: At A Bit Lavish, we pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of originality and respect for intellectual property. We encourage our audience to uphold these values by refraining from unauthorized copying or reproduction of any content, logo, or branding material from our website. Each piece of content, image, and design is created with care and protected under copyright law. Please enjoy and share responsibly to help us maintain the integrity of our brand. For inquiries on usage or collaborations, feel free to reach out to us +1 305.332.1942.

Translate »