Home Politics Child safety must be priority of TikTok negotiations, parents group urges VP Vance
Politics

Child safety must be priority of TikTok negotiations, parents group urges VP Vance

Share
Share

FIRST ON FOX: A group of parents is urging the Trump administration to “make the safety of America’s children a top priority” as the deadline to strike a deal to save TikTok looms.

“TikTok is a breeding ground for harmful content, exposing our kids to videos promoting self-harm, eating disorders, and dangerous so-called viral challenges,” Alleigh Marré, executive director of the American Parents Coalition, said in a letter sent to Vice President JD Vance on Wednesday morning. 

Marré wrote that the Chinese-owned platform, which has an April 5 deadline for an American buyer to take over the company, regularly promotes “gender and sexuality content to minors” as well as suicidal ideation.

‘NO BETTER DEALMAKER’: TRUMP REPORTEDLY CONSIDERING EXECUTIVE ORDER TO ‘SAVE’ TIKTOK

“This is no accident. TikTok’s design is deliberate. The Chinese-owned algorithm is being used to endanger our children. TikTok’s algorithm preys on vulnerable minds by feeding a steady stream of toxic content, and it often happens without parents realizing it,” the letter reads. “In the waning days of your negotiations I ask that you ensure this app has no connection to our country’s primary adversary. We cannot allow an adversary to have power akin to controlling all children’s television programming combined. TikTok cannot be owned, controlled, or influenced by foreign adversaries, and we must not allow those who wish to see our country fail have the power to manipulate and poison our kids.”

After an app blackout that lasted roughly 14 hours just days before his inauguration, Trump said he would “save TikTok” through negotiations with American buyers. So far, several high-profile groups are vying to purchase TikTok’s U.S. operations, including former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, investor Kevin O’Leary, and a consortium featuring influencer Jimmy Donaldson, known as “MrBeast,” and entrepreneur Jesse Tinsley, the founder of Employer.com.

HOSPITALS WARNED THEY MUST PROTECT CHILDREN FROM CHEMICAL AND SURGICAL MUTILATION: HHS AGENCY MEMO

Perplexity, an AI firm, has also shown interest. Oracle, TikTok’s current U.S. tech partner, is also considered a top contender. ByteDance could reportedly retain a stake in TikTok, with further investments from U.S. investors like General Atlantic and Susquehanna.

A bipartisan 2024 law gave TikTok nine months to either divest from its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, or be removed from U.S.-based app stores and hosting services. The Supreme Court weighed in on the ban on Jan. 17, two days before the deadline, declining to strike down the law as unconstitutional.

Trump’s attorneys filed an amicus brief in the case in December, urging the Supreme Court to delay any ban until Trump took office. The court did not do so and Trump subsequently issued a 75-day delay on enforcing the ban on Inauguration Day. That delay expires at the end of Saturday.

Of a possible sale of TikTok, Trump said Sunday aboard Air Force One, “We have a lot of potential buyers.”

“There’s tremendous interest in TikTok,” he told reporters. “The decision is going to be my decision. I’d like to see TikTok remain alive.”

Trump’s push to save TikTok is at odds with many in his own party, who have introduced legislation in recent years seeking to ban the app over national security concerns.

SUPREME COURT APPEARS SKEPTICAL OF BLOCKING US BAN ON TIKTOK: WHAT TO KNOW

There are roughly 170 million active American users on the social media app, the company reported.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House and TikTok for comment.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Related Articles
Boats

For Sale! 2016 Sea Ray 350 Sundancer – $180,000

Reel Deal Yacht is pleased to feature a meticulously maintained 2016 Sea...

Sports

Ohtani’s walk-off homer boosts Dodgers to 8-0 with another comeback win

Shohei Ohtani met the moment again, and his latest theatrics have the...

Sports

Nathan Ordaz scores, LAFC blanks Leo Messi and Inter Miami 1-0 in 1st leg of CONCACAF Champions Cup

Nathan Ordaz scored in the 57th minute, and Los Angeles FC kept...

Sports

Some diehard baseball fans in sports-crazed Sacramento welcome Athletics and hope they stay awhile

Van Thompson walked through the busy concourse shortly before first pitch and...

Sports

FIFA’s Infantino points to US hosting 2031 Women’s World Cup and UK getting 2035 edition

The United States and the United Kingdom looked set on Thursday to...

About Us

Founded by Francesca Perez in Miami in 2022, A BIT LAVISH is your go-to source for luxury living insights. Covering yachts, boats, real estate, health, and news, we bring you the best of Miami's vibrant lifestyle. Discover more with Miami's Magazine.

Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates and articles directly to your inbox.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Copyright © 2024 ABIT LAVISH. Miami's Magazine Est. 2022, All rights reserved.

Legal Notice: At A Bit Lavish, we pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of originality and respect for intellectual property. We encourage our audience to uphold these values by refraining from unauthorized copying or reproduction of any content, logo, or branding material from our website. Each piece of content, image, and design is created with care and protected under copyright law. Please enjoy and share responsibly to help us maintain the integrity of our brand. For inquiries on usage or collaborations, feel free to reach out to us +1 305.332.1942.

Translate »