Home Politics Judge threatens contempt for ICE leader, orders him to appear in court
Politics

Judge threatens contempt for ICE leader, orders him to appear in court

Share
Share

A Minnesota judge has summoned acting U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director Todd Lyons to appear in court on Friday to explain why he should not be held in contempt for allegedly violating a previous order.

A habeas petition on behalf of a detainee, identified in the order as Juan T.R., was granted on Jan. 14, 2026. The judge ordered the respondents to hold a bond hearing for T.R. within seven days, warning that if no hearing was held within that timeframe, the detainee was to be “immediately released.” The new order, which is dated Jan. 26, states that on Jan. 23 T.R.’s counsel notified the court that a hearing had not been held and that he remained in custody.

The new order, which was issued on Monday, calls on Lyons to appear in court on Friday at 1:00 p.m. local time “to show cause why he should not be held in contempt for violating the Court’s January 14, 2026, order.” However, Judge Patrick J. Schiltz said the court would call off the hearing if ICE released T.R. ahead of Friday afternoon.

“Judge Patrick J. Schiltz is just another activist judge who is clearly more concerned about politics than the safety of the Minnesotans,” DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin told Fox News Digital. “Does this judge really think Director Lyons should take time out of his day leading ICE to target the worst of the worst criminal illegals including murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and terrorists into our country to testify at a hearing for one illegal alien’s removal proceedings?”

FORMER ICE AGENT CALLS POLICE NON-COOPERATION ‘FORMULA FOR DISASTER’ AFTER SECOND MINNEAPOLIS SHOOTING DEATH

“This Court has been extremely patient with respondents, even though respondents decided to send thousands of agents to Minnesota to detain aliens without making any provision for dealing with the hundreds of habeas petitions and other lawsuits that were sure to result,” Schiltz wrote. “The Court’s patience is at an end. Accordingly, the Court will order Todd Lyons, the Acting Director of ICE, to appear personally before the Court and show cause why he should not be held in contempt of Court.”

Schiltz claimed that the respondents — DHS Secretary Kristi Noem, Lyons, DHS and acting director of ICE’s St. Paul office, David Easterwood — have said that they have assured the Court that they understand their obligation to comply with Court orders. However, the judge added that despite the assurances, violations have continued.

In the order, Schiltz acknowledges that ordering Lyons “to personally appear is an extraordinary step,” but said that “the extent of ICE’s violation of court orders is likewise extraordinary.” The judge also claimed that “lesser measures” had been tried and failed.

Fox News has learned that Schiltz and his wife, Elizabeth, appeared on a 2019 list of donors and volunteers for the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, which provides free legal advice for illegal immigrants.

DHS SAYS ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT SOUGHT AMID PRETTI SHOOTING HAD VIOLENT DOMESTIC HISTORY

Federal immigration enforcement authorities have been under increasing pressure in Minnesota following two fatal shootings this month. The first shooting occurred on Jan. 7 and left 37-year-old Renee Nicole Good dead. This sparked a wave of demonstrations, with agitators confronting federal law enforcement throughout Minnesota. It also drew the scrutiny of Minnesota leaders, including Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, among others.

On Saturday, a Border Patrol agent fatally shot Alex Jeffrey Pretti, a 37-year-old Minneapolis resident and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs ICU nurse. Pretti was shot during an immigration enforcement operation targeting Jose Huerta-Chuma, an illegal immigrant with a criminal history including domestic assault for intentional conflict bodily harm, disorderly conduct and driving without a valid license.

Homeland Security officials said Pretti approached Border Patrol agents while armed with a 9 mm pistol and “violently resisted” when they attempted to disarm him. Pretti’s family disputed the Trump administration’s assertion that he was holding a firearm.

“The sickening lies told about our son by the administration are reprehensible and disgusting,” the family wrote in a statement obtained by The Associated Press. “Alex is clearly not holding a gun when attacked by Trump’s murdering and cowardly ICE thugs. He has his phone in his right hand and his empty left hand is raised above his head while trying to protect the woman ICE just pushed down all while being pepper sprayed. Please get the truth out about our son. He was a good man.”

Fox News Digital reached out to DHS for comment.

The Associated Press and Fox News’ David Spunt contributed to this report.

Share

Luxury Board

S&P 500

Índices globales

Gold

Silver

Platinum

Palladium

Related Articles
Politics

Abortion pill fight heads to Supreme Court as manufacturer warns of ‘chaos’ after ruling

The legal battle over abortion pills escalated to the Supreme Court on...

Politics

Democrat Tina Shah calls transgender healthcare for children a ‘no-brainer’ in competitive NJ House race

A progressive candidate aiming to unseat a vulnerable Republican in a battleground...

Politics

Trump signs stopgap FISA extension after Senate blocks long-term renewal

President Donald Trump signed a 45-day extension for Section 702 of the...

Politics

Fox News Campus Radicals Newsletter: Educators disciplined after lamenting Trump survival, university sued

PINK SLIPS COMING: Educators fired or suspended after lamenting Trump survived dinner...

Turning Vision into Reality

A BIT LAVISH | MIAMI’S MAGAZINE

Let’s create something exceptional together.

Founded by Francesca Pérez in Miami in 2022, A Bit Lavish is your source for refined, insider perspectives on the city’s high-end culture. From yachts and real estate to health, wellness, and curated news, we cover Miami’s pulse with a clear, confident editorial voice.

Through modern storytelling and genuine access, we highlight ambition, good design, and the people shaping the city. Discover more — with Miami’s Magazine.

get the latest updates and articles directly to your inbox.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Copyright © 2024 A BIT LAVISH | Miami's Magazine Est. 2022

All rights reserved.

Legal Notice: At A Bit Lavish, we pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of originality and respect for intellectual property. We encourage our audience to uphold these values by refraining from unauthorized copying or reproduction of any content, logo, or branding material from our website. Each piece of content, image, and design is created with care and protected under copyright law. Please enjoy and share responsibly to help us maintain the integrity of our brand. For inquiries on usage or collaborations, feel free to reach out to us +1 305.332.1942.

Translate »