Home News Headlines Lawyers who say British nurse was wrongly convicted of killing babies ask to halt hospital inquiry
News Headlines

Lawyers who say British nurse was wrongly convicted of killing babies ask to halt hospital inquiry

Share
Share

Lawyers for convicted baby killer Lucy Letby and former executives at the hospital where she worked have asked to halt an inquiry into the deaths after a panel of medical experts found no evidence of a crime, a judge said Monday.

Justice Kathryn Thirlwall announced the requests before hearing closing statements in the inquiry seeking accountability for staff and management for the harm to babies at Countess of Chester Hospital in northwest England.

The inquiry that began in September was predicated on Letby’s guilt, and Thirlwall had said she would not review the convictions after an appeals court upheld them. But lawyers for Letby said that if the convictions are overturned, the inquiry might reach the wrong conclusions, and 10 million pounds ($13 million) spent so far will have been a waste of taxpayer funds.

“In short, it will defeat the purpose of a public inquiry, to fully and fearlessly understand the circumstances in which the babies died or became unwell,” attorney Louise Mortimer wrote in a letter to Thirlwall.

Thirlwall is expected to publish a final report in the fall.

Letby, 35, is serving multiple life sentences with no chance of release after being convicted of seven counts of murder and attempting to murder seven other infants between June 2015 and June 2016 while working as a neonatal nurse at the hospital.

Prosecutors said Letby left little or no trace when she harmed babies: injecting air into their bloodstreams, administering air or milk into their stomachs via nasogastric tubes, interfering with breathing tubes or poisoning them with insulin. They said she was the only employee on duty in the neonatal unit when the children collapsed or died.

But a group of 16 international medical experts in pediatrics and neonatology who reviewed the medical evidence concluded that natural causes or bad medical care led to the death or collapse of each newborn, Dr. Shoo Lee, a retired neonatologist from Canada, said last month.

The panel also questioned the premise that there was an unexplained spike in deaths at the hospital. It said evidence of schedules that showed Letby was present during all the deaths was “incomplete, selective and, therefore, meaningless.”

Dozens of Letby’s supporters gathered outside the inquiry in Liverpool to call for her release. They held signs saying: “Free Lucy Letby! No babies were murdered!” and others referring to flawed science and the “nurse Letby witch hunt.”

Letby’s convictions are being examined by the Criminal Case Review Commission, which looks at potential miscarriages of justice. It could refer its findings to the Court of Appeal.

The Crown Prosecution Service has said two juries convicted Letby and three appellate judges had rejected her arguments that the prosecution expert evidence was flawed.

Former executives at the hospital — chief executive Tony Chambers, medical director Ian Harvey, director of nursing Alison Kelly and human resources director Sue Hodkinson — asked for the public inquiry to be halted after the medical panel released its findings.

But a lawyer for the National Health Service trust that runs the hospital said during his closing remarks that the inquiry shouldn’t be suspended.

“A postponement, which would necessarily be of indeterminate length, is not warranted and it would serve to delay the implementations of recommendations which unhappily the evidence in this inquiry have demonstrated are desperately needed,” attorney Andrew Kennedy said.

Kennedy said the hospital had acknowledged some failings at the start of the inquiry but that it was now clear it should have acted even sooner to banish Letby from the neonatal unit.

“We recognize the significance of this concession to the parents of children who were harmed or killed by Letby after the beginning of November 2015 and I can only say that the trust is profoundly sorry for the failure to intervene sooner,” Kennedy said.

Several related investigations remain active.

Cheshire police announced last week that its investigation into corporate manslaughter at the hospital had been expanded and was now looking at individual suspects for gross negligence manslaughter.

Letby’s lawyer criticized that decision, based on the medical panel’s findings.

“We now have substantial and significant expert evidence which completely demolishes the prosecution case against Lucy Letby and points the finger in a very different direction to that which the police are currently looking,” Mark McDonald said. “It is time they take a step back and ask themselves whether have they made a huge mistake.”

A separate investigation is looking into other deaths and near-deaths of babies at the Countess of Chester Hospital and the Liverpool Women’s Hospital when Letby worked there between 2012 to 2016.

Share

Latest News

Related Articles
Boats

For Sale! 2016 Sea Ray 350 Sundancer – $180,000

Reel Deal Yacht is pleased to feature a meticulously maintained 2016 Sea...

Sports

Wednesday Sports Schedule – The Republic News

Upcoming Sports Events: A Weekend of Excitement in Indiana As the spring...

Sports

Suzuki’s late-game heroics lift Canadiens to dramatic 3-2 OT win over Panthers

Nick Suzuki scored his second of the game 29 seconds into overtime...

Sports

Alcantara tosses 5 solid innings for 1st win since 2023 as Marlins beat Mets 4-2

Sandy Alcantara pitched five effective innings for his first win in 19...

Sports

King fans 11 in 7-0 win against Guardians as the Padres are off to 1st 6-0 start

Michael King struck out 11 in five innings and Jackson Merrill homered...

About Us

Founded by Francesca Perez in Miami in 2022, A BIT LAVISH is your go-to source for luxury living insights. Covering yachts, boats, real estate, health, and news, we bring you the best of Miami's vibrant lifestyle. Discover more with Miami's Magazine.

Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates and articles directly to your inbox.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Copyright © 2024 ABIT LAVISH. Miami's Magazine Est. 2022, All rights reserved.

Legal Notice: At A Bit Lavish, we pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of originality and respect for intellectual property. We encourage our audience to uphold these values by refraining from unauthorized copying or reproduction of any content, logo, or branding material from our website. Each piece of content, image, and design is created with care and protected under copyright law. Please enjoy and share responsibly to help us maintain the integrity of our brand. For inquiries on usage or collaborations, feel free to reach out to us +1 305.332.1942.

Translate »