Home Politics NYC Mayor Eric Adams indictment dismissed with prejudice
Politics

NYC Mayor Eric Adams indictment dismissed with prejudice

Share
Share

A judge on Wednesday dismissed the corruption indictment against New York City Mayor Eric Adams. 

U.S. District Judge Dale E. Ho of the Southern District of New York dismissed the case against Adams with prejudice, meaning it can’t be brought back again. 

The Biden Justice Department alleged that Adams inappropriately used his position as mayor to solicit illegal campaign contributions and luxury travel from foreign nationals from Turkey, businessmen and others. 

FORMER GOV ANDREW CUOMO REPORTS EYE-POPPING FUNDRAISING FIGURE IN RACE FOR MAYOR

The DOJ, now under President Donald Trump, urged the judge to drop the case, but Ho said last month he would take time to consider the motion.

“The case against Eric Adams should have never been brought in the first place – and finally today that case is gone forever,” Adams’ attorney, Alex Spiro, said in a statement to Fox News. “From Day 1, the mayor has maintained his innocence and now justice for Eric Adams and New Yorkers has prevailed.”

In his first public remarks since the judge’s decision, Adams did not address the dismissal Wednesday morning and instead stayed on script at an event discussing efforts to combat retail theft. He walked off the stage afterward and took no questions. 

The DOJ motion notably asked the judge to dismiss the case without prejudice, arguing that “continuing these proceedings would interfere with” the mayor’s ability to govern, thereby threatening “federal immigration initiatives and policies.” 

“In light of DOJ’s rationales, dismissing the case without prejudice would create the unavoidable perception that the Mayor’s freedom depends on his ability to carry out the immigration enforcement priorities of the administration, and that he might be more beholden to the demands of the federal government than to the wishes of his own constituents,” Ho wrote in his decision Wednesday. “That appearance is inevitable, and it counsels in favor of dismissal with prejudice.” 

WHO’S THE FRONT-RUNNER IN NEW YORK CITY’S MAYORAL RACE 

The judge noted that Adams submitted a motion of his own seeking dismissal with prejudice and the DOJ did not oppose that motion, effectively waiving any objection to permanent dismissal of this case.

Ho also pushed back on the Trump administration’s argument that the case had been tainted by “appearances of impropriety.” 

“There is no evidence – zero – that they had any improper motives,” Ho wrote in defense of the prosecutors.

Adams faces a competitive mayoral primary contest this summer, as former Gov. Andrew Cuomo entered the contest this month and has already announced an eye-popping $1.51 million in fundraising. 

The case against Adams was brought nine months before the 2025 mayoral primary election, but Ho asserted that the timing was “entirely consistent with prior public corruption prosecutions.” 

The judge rejected that DOJ argument that the case amounted to “election interference” and slammed the Trump administration’s rationale that the case would get in the way of immigration enforcement. Ho noted that Adams announced that he would allow U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to operate at the Riker’s Island jail shortly after the Justice Department sought to have the case against him dismissed and while the indictment was still pending. 

“In other words, the record does not show that this case has impaired Mayor Adams in his immigration enforcement efforts. Instead, it shows that after DOJ decided to seek dismissal of his case, the Mayor took at least one new immigration-related action consistent with the preferences of the new administration,” Hoe wrote. “Everything here smacks of a bargain: dismissal of the indictment in exchange for immigration policy concessions. Taking a step back from the particulars of this case, DOJ’s immigration enforcement rationale is both unprecedented and breathtaking in its sweep.” 

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Related Articles
Boats

For Sale! 2016 Sea Ray 350 Sundancer – $180,000

Reel Deal Yacht is pleased to feature a meticulously maintained 2016 Sea...

Sports

Ohtani’s walk-off homer boosts Dodgers to 8-0 with another comeback win

Shohei Ohtani met the moment again, and his latest theatrics have the...

Sports

Nathan Ordaz scores, LAFC blanks Leo Messi and Inter Miami 1-0 in 1st leg of CONCACAF Champions Cup

Nathan Ordaz scored in the 57th minute, and Los Angeles FC kept...

Sports

Some diehard baseball fans in sports-crazed Sacramento welcome Athletics and hope they stay awhile

Van Thompson walked through the busy concourse shortly before first pitch and...

Sports

FIFA’s Infantino points to US hosting 2031 Women’s World Cup and UK getting 2035 edition

The United States and the United Kingdom looked set on Thursday to...

About Us

Founded by Francesca Perez in Miami in 2022, A BIT LAVISH is your go-to source for luxury living insights. Covering yachts, boats, real estate, health, and news, we bring you the best of Miami's vibrant lifestyle. Discover more with Miami's Magazine.

Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates and articles directly to your inbox.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Copyright © 2024 ABIT LAVISH. Miami's Magazine Est. 2022, All rights reserved.

Legal Notice: At A Bit Lavish, we pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of originality and respect for intellectual property. We encourage our audience to uphold these values by refraining from unauthorized copying or reproduction of any content, logo, or branding material from our website. Each piece of content, image, and design is created with care and protected under copyright law. Please enjoy and share responsibly to help us maintain the integrity of our brand. For inquiries on usage or collaborations, feel free to reach out to us +1 305.332.1942.

Translate »